Sandworm Syndrome








This is the scene that keeps playing in my head every time I think of leaving the house.  The Sandworm is guarding the door, only instead of the Sandworm it's a foot of snow and negative temps.
And so we are all suffering from a very real and acute case of Sandworm Syndrome (see also cabin fever)

It's been almost a week of snow days and I'm loosing the will to live.  How do you make 3.5 days feel like a month?  Turn them into snow days with four kids.  We've done almost every craft, watched every movie we own aka everything under the sun since we have Netflix, played elaborate games that incorporate ALL the toys we own and got in numerous fights over who gets to sit in front of the heat vent.  Seriously!  It's my turn! 

I have been wearing my slippers for 3 days. 

Yesterday, my husband came home from work at 6:45 just as I was trying to get everyone ready for bed.  I stopped to talk to him when I heard my oldest (7) yelling for me.  Apparently the twins (3) thought it would be hilarious to throw a basket of folded laundry all over the place and pull stuff off shelves.  I snapped.  My husband, realized I was done when he came into the bathroom and I was holding my knees rocking back and forth.  He immediately brought me a bottle of wine and put the kids to bed.  Thank you baby Jesus!
Technically we CAN leave the house but for some reason, and I'm not sure why, I feel like I can't.  Maybe it's the negative temps and the thought of getting everyone, especially the littles, bundled up to go where?? Where would I go?? Florida?!
I feel like there's an unspoken rule that if the weather is bad enough to cancel school, then you probably shouldn't leave your house.  Whoever made this perceived unspoken rule, I just want to let you know that 'YOU are not the boss of me!'.  My three year old is.  At least one of them. 
I can leave anytime I want!!!!
I'm beginning to hate the woman who reports there is no school and that 's not fair to her.  Why don't they just have Siri do that shit?  And please do not call until AFTER 6:30.  It's just a double blow to find out there is no school at 5:45.  Bastards!
I am trying to embrace the crazy and enjoy this time with my kids but when you can't get outside it's hard.  Don't get me wrong, there are moments of sweetness, but they are in between screaming tantrums over destroyed Lego towers and 'he's touching me!'  They have so much energy and there is so many of them, they need outside....but the Sandworm looms and the unspoken rule says no.  

I starting to feel like it's the zombie apocalypse....the only thing is, I'm the only zombie. 

I grab another cup of tea because caffeine is my lifeline and this scene from Beetlejuice runs through my head again.  The Sandworm is my unspoken ruler. 
And to this I say: I will not be held hostage much longer.  Bastard Sandworm.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reality Check Please

Bringing Home the Bacon

Gateway Pets and Unsatisfied Customers