Why Moms Should Try Yoga



I used to run all the time.  Then I had kids....and if you've ever done that you know they can kind of mess up your schedule (and also ruin your body but its fine I'm not bitter).  Anyways, I went on a bit of a hiatus.  So after four kids I started running again.  Everything was going well but I was feeling really tight and sore.  While looking for something to counterbalance my running, I found yoga.
Long story short, I tried it, loved it and would like to recommend it to all my mommy friends.
If you are anything like this mom, you are gonna need at least three good reasons to add anything new to your schedule, and you will need that list to be concise because you are probably in between getting the kids a snack and picking up the next disaster, so here:

1.  It's a full on work out, wet t-shirt included, especially with a good teacher who kills it.    You can push yourself or pull back to get the kind work out you need.    Lots of people think that because it's slower pace, they won't get a good enough work out.  For those people, hold plank for as long as possible and try not to sweat.  Believe me, you will still gets that tight 'I killed it at the gym today' feeling.  You will also, overtime, build up unbelievable flexibility and arm strength, neither of which I had any of beforehand.

2.  It's an investment in your future.  Not because it will help you live longer, although I'm sure we could find a study that says that, but because almost anyone can do it, anytime, anywhere and forever.  Let's face it, most of us will not be running marathons in our 70's, my bladder control is a little dicy as it is, but you could still be doing yoga.

3.  You get positive reinforcement and a sense of accomplishment.  I'm sure every teacher/class is different however no one in mommy land cares that you are doing your job.  No one is going to say, 'You are really killing that laundry!' or 'Look at you rocking that bedtime routine with extra books!' but in yoga you get positive reinforcement for just being.  (Side note:  It may be interesting to see what I wouldn't do for verbal reinforcement.)  You can feel yourself getting in better shape and visibly see improvement in the poses you do.    I mean, I know it sounds ridiculous but when asked what I did on any given day, I usually lead with something like, 'I f'-ing nailed headstand.'

So there it is. Yoga is awesome
Try it! Love it!
Thank me later (you know, since I love positive reinforcement and all).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reality Check Please

Gateway Pets and Unsatisfied Customers

The Problem with Todays Kids